Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just from our first few weeks of classes, I have already learned so much more about MRI! Especially the anatomy on the scans. This past week for me has been a very busy one! We run a 1.5 tesla strength magnet from 8:ooam until 8:30pm monday through saturday. The few days I was there, I averaged at least ten patients a day. One of my cases was a little different. I had to do a Brain MRI on a patient with nasopharangeal cancer. My radiologists have a specific protocol and it takes approximately one hour to do. This patient had his mandible removed due to the cancer and was extremely claustrophobic, so it was a bit of a challenge for me. He was sedated, but he still was having a hard time laying in the scanner. The axial scans start at the hyoid bone and need to cover through the pituitary. The coronals must begin posterior to the brain stem and anteriorly through the face. It was challenging, but also a very educational process.

No comments:

Post a Comment