
I had a 34 year old patient come in with lower back pain. I had asked him a series of questions about his history including have you ever had back surgery. He responded with "yes, I had a lipoma removed off my back". Many of times patients come in with lipomas on their back. Patients present with a palpable mass on their back side somewhere and they usually turn out to be just lipomas. So, imagine my surprise when I ran his scans to find this intradural lipoma. I have never seen one before, so I thought it was very interesting. I called one of my neuroradiologists and asked if they would need contrast and he said none was needed. He only asked I made sure to do a block of T1 Axials through the lipoma. I think this case made me realize how thorough I should be with a history. I assumed with him he was talking about something else, luckily I was able to see his pathology and do the proper images.
No comments:
Post a Comment